Oulton Abbey - a brief History

Oulton Abbey is situated amongst the hills of Staffordshire in the village of Oulton near Stone, Staffordshire.

 

This multi-use Grade 2 Listed building has been the home to a community of Benedictine nuns since 1853 (St Mary's Abbey, also known as Oulton Abbey). St Mary's Church was built in 1853, a Grade 2* listed building designed by the Younger Pugin; the Nuns subsequently established a girls boarding school which was replaced by a retreat house, a flourishing Playgroup in 1968 and then opened Our Lady and St .Benedict's Nursing and Residential Home, also known as Oulton Abbey Care Home in 1989 replacing the former school and retreat house.

Picture courtesy of www.staffspasttrack.org.uk

Picture courtesy of www.staffspasttrack.org.uk

   Home     Calendar     About us    Staff     Contact     Testimonials     Parents Group Page     The Abbey    Privacy/Safeguarding policy    Terms of Use

Oulton Abbey Playgroup © 2013

Registered charity number: 230096

This website has been created by, and is being maintained by, the playgroup Parents Group.